Be Quick Start
- If you need support, see the main article Customer Support
Welcome to the powers of Be. Not only do you have access to the fastest broadband your telephone line can handle, you are now part of the larger Be Community. This quick start guide will take you through the things most companies forgot to tell you.
About the Quick Start guide
The Quick Start Guide is an editable documentation that will be included in new customer modem packages. The Guide's aim is to introduce people to Be Broadband, get it up and running, (and include information about the community and the methods of support). Feel free to edit the guide. Please include a signature and a description what you edited. Any questions please email ben.reyes[at]beunlimited.co.uk
Note: Before you try and connect and configure your broadband modem, your telephone line must be activated for broadband.
- You will receive an email from beunlimited.co.uk confirming that you ".. can plug in your modem anytime you want and start browsing!"
- Your Member Home Page (username/password required via the log-in page) includes a section "Order Status" which will note that "Ready to go -- You will be ready to use our super-fast broadband once your line is activated"
Starter pack contents
To get going, the general steps are as follows:
- Unplug your phone from your telephone socket
- Plug-in to the phone socket, one of the supplied ADSL filters
- Plug one end of the DSL cable into the appropriate socket in the ADSL filter (the other socket is for your phone, which should work as before)
- Plug the other end of the DSL cable into the DSL socket on the Be Box modem
- Plug one end of the yellow internet cable into the appropriate socket on the back of your PC
- Plug the other end of the yellow internet cable into the appropriate socket on the Be Box modem (if there are more than one socket, choose the one labelled Port 1)
- Switch on your Be Box modem. The power light will illuminate.
- Configure your Be Box modem via your Web Browser (see below)
Configuring your Be Box Modem
Video notes on how to setup your router if you have a Static IP are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28i5PFb5kHg
- Point your Browser to
http://192.168.1.254(you can always add this to your Browser favourites/bookmarks)
- If the modem is correctly connected to your PC, you will see the THOMSON TG585v7 Home Page. Then:
- From the menu on the left, click "Thomson Gateway"
- At the bottom of the "Thomson Gateway" page, in the " Pick a task..." section, click "Set up)
- Enter the information provided by Be There.
- If required, note that the Netmask is indeed
255.255.252.0(note the penultimate 252, and not the more usual 255)
The Be 3...2...1 CD-Rom comes with the Be Starter kit. A couple of labels in the kit tell you to insert and run the CD-Rom before you plug-in the Bebox wireless router. Despite the messages on the label, this is not necessary; the contents contains information only (ie. no drivers or required software). Feel free to skip this section.
Menu title: Speedtouch CD menu
- Access Be Box via Browser (!)
- Documentation and Help
- Set-up my Be Box (USB only) (!)
- Be Box Maintenance (!)
- Safety and Regulatory Information
- Visit BeThere.co.uk
Some of these options appear to be for an older Speedtouch modem, as the options marked (!) did not work with my supplied Thomson TG585v7 ADSL2+ modem